The Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) seeks an experienced and highly motivated Public Relations Manager to lead PR and social media programs that will drive widespread adoption of Functional Medicine. The right candidate will be directly responsible for the development, execution, and measurement of public relations and social media programs that reinforce IFM’s mission, vision and values.
As a member of IFM’s Communications team, you will: assist in the development of PR strategy, build relationships and communicate with journalists, influencers and other thought leaders; devise high quality communications materials and campaigns; and counter misinformation that might interfere with our ability to serve our customers and achieve our mission. We are looking for a great communicator who understands media and can process and navigate complex issues.
The ideal candidate will possess sound judgement, an eye for accuracy, excellent writing skills, strong program and project management skills, a hands-on approach, and a proven record of generating high-impact earned media. We are seeking a savvy communications professional who can nurture a strong journalist and influencer network to keep the industry informed about IFM’s goals and initiatives, and also work directly with internal stakeholders to help ensure alignment across the entire communications team. The role will report to the Director of Communications.
- Develop and place integrated PR campaigns that tell the IFM story in a compelling way, highlighting our progress, partners, research, offerings and influencers.
- Bring forth innovative, long-term strategic thinking, seasonal strategies, and compelling concepts that align with and support brand and product campaigns.
- Help to define the Communications strategy and execute it across PR and social media channels.
- Manage, build and enhance IFM’s reputation across contexts and mediums, building the relationships and alliances necessary to ensure success.
- Manage the Social Media Coordinator, the external Public Relations firm and additional team members as growth allows.
- Create, edit and promote a variety of written and visual content.
- Generate earned media placement, drawing on experience, relationship building and ability to tell the IFM story.
- Define the public relations and social media editorial calendars, and work cross-functionally to drive the execution of them.
- Apply superb organizational skills to the management of high-level communications opportunities around corporate and product announcements, industry leadership, awards, etc.
- Oversee the creation of news releases (product, partnership, and corporate announcements), byline articles, blog posts, etc.
- Monitor company, industry and competitive news coverage, reporting on data and trends, and proactively identify thought-leadership opportunities that can be used in compelling storylines relevant to Functional Medicine.
- Collaborate on day-to-day communications activities.
- Track, measure and report on the impact/effectiveness of PR programs and initiatives.
- Assist with crisis communications planning and execution.
- Proactively identify and execute PR opportunities that support IFM’s mission of widespread adoption of Functional Medicine.
- 5+ years of public relations and social media experience with a consistent record securing media coverage across a variety of media.
- Minimum of 1-2 years supervisory experience or equivalent work related experience
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of PR and social media campaign development and execution.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; self-motivated with experience working in a fast-paced, high-growth, changing environment.
- Strategic, analytical thinker with keen tactical execution skills, attention to detail, and ability to turn complex topics into digestible, compelling stories.
- Driven, self-organized team player with demonstrated project management skills and the ability to achieve objectives in the midst of competing deadlines.
- Flexible and open to change, grasps the essence of new information, and identifies solutions accordingly.
Education, Licenses, Certificates:
- 4-year degree in communications, journalism, or related field.
- Light moving, transporting, and positioning of items weighing less than 10 pounds;
- Sitting, standing, bending, reaching, pushing/pulling, kneeling, twisting, grasping, and walking for general office duties and travel as required.
Work Environment: General indoor office environment
Travel: 5% – 15%
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.