The Functional Medicine model has taken hold inside the healthcare system and is currently being employed by organizations and institutions of all types and sizes. Some of these include:
- Large teaching and hospital centers (e.g., Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine)
- Government institutions (e.g., the US Department of Veterans Affairs)
- Employer organizations (e.g., LeadHealth)
- Academic medicine (e.g., medical schools and residency programs)
As a result of this traction, many of these organizations are reporting improvements in patient outcomes. Having treated more than 4200 patients and counting, Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine is beginning to report their data. For example, when comparing patients treated with conventional care at Cleveland Clinic versus patients treated at Center for Functional Medicine, the latter group shows better clinical improvements in several areas, even while healthcare costs decrease.
Patient demand for Functional Medicine is burgeoning, as well:
- More than one million annual searches are conducted in IFM’s Find A Practitioner database.
- The wait to see a clinician at the newly expanded Center for Functional Medicine currently stands at six to seven months.
- Functional Medicine clinicians and thought leaders have landed on bestseller lists in recent years. Some of these authors include Mark Hyman, MD, David Perlmutter, MD, Amy Myers, MD, Terry Wahls, MD, and Jeff Bland, PhD.