Advancing the Highest Expression of Health
We set the gold standard for education, training, and clinical practice in Functional Medicine globally.
We accelerate the application of emerging research in clinical practice to improve patient outcomes.
We inspire practitioners to rediscover their passion for medicine and patients to take active ownership of their health.View More
What We Do
IFM believes health and vitality are essential to the human spirit. We work to advance the highest expression of individual health by advocating Functional Medicine as the standard of care. To achieve this goal, our work is primarily focused in these five areas:
- Education. We train Functional Medicine clinicians to act as change agents in reversing the epidemic of chronic disease. Learn More
- Access. We facilitate the broadest possible integration of Functional Medicine into the global healthcare system. Learn More
- Economics. We ensure that the practice of Functional Medicine is economically viable for providers, patients, and payers. Learn More
- Collaboration & Development. We create and support key alliances that advance IFM’s mission to make Functional Medicine the standard of care. Learn More
- Research. We catalyze and facilitate clinical research that supports the Functional Medicine model. Learn More
Leaders in Clinical Practice, Education, and Research
IFM’s educational programs are led by a diverse set of educators with areas of expertise that include the microbiome, genomic medicine, clinical nutrition, and lifestyle change. Drawn from the leaders in the arenas of clinical practice, education, and research, each educator has years of experience practicing Functional Medicine.
The IFM executive team has piloted the organization through tremendous growth, including increasing the number of Functional Medicine-trained clinicians by a factor of five, helping to open the first Functional Medicine center of excellence at Cleveland Clinic, and initiating partnerships to develop technology solutions for greater practice efficiency for Functional Medicine providers.
Board of Directors
IFM’s board is made up of our co-founder, founding president emeritus, and other professionals with a diverse set of experience who all share a passion for advancing Functional Medicine as the standard of care.
Since its founding in 1991, The Institute for Functional Medicine has trained clinicians to translate scientific advances in the areas of genomics, epigenetics, nutrition, and lifestyle into solutions for notoriously challenging clinical problems.
IFM is the only Functional Medicine organization accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). We have been continuously accredited since 2001 and have twice received the coveted status of accreditation with commendation.