Advancing the Transformation of Healthcare for Patients and Practitioners Worldwide
IFM is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and the only organization providing functional medicine education and certification programs that is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
We set the gold standard for education, training, and clinical practice in functional medicine globally.
We accelerate the application of emerging research in clinical practice to improve patient outcomes.
We inspire practitioners to rediscover their passion for medicine and patients to take active ownership of their health.View More
What We Do
We believe health and vitality are essential to the human spirit. IFM’s vision is to advance the highest expression of individual health. Our mission is to ensure the widespread adoption of functional medicine. We accomplish this work through:
- Teach: We support the confident and competent practice of functional medicine by providing high-quality, ACCME-accredited education, certification, training, and resources.
- Access: We ensure the practice of functional medicine is accessible, understandable, and applicable; improve the delivery of patient care, and advance health equity.
- Partner: We partner with academic, governmental, public and private institutions across medical disciplines to improve the patient experience.
- Research: We catalyze and promote functional medicine research and evidence generation through strategic and technical project support
- Advocate: We increase awareness of functional medicine through communications and efforts to connect with patients, practitioners, policymakers, and individuals.
Leaders in Clinical Practice, Education, and Research
IFM is the only organization providing functional medicine certification along with educational programs directly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). Our educational programs are led by a diverse team of educators who bring together the complement of modern scientific tools, including a deep understanding of biology, physiology, genetics, social and environmental determinants of health, and the vital connection between mental and physical well-being. Collectively representing clinical practice, education, and research, each educator has years of experience practicing functional medicine.
IFM’s Executive Leadership provides strategic direction, guidance, decision-making, and execution within their teams and cross-functionally to advance IFM’s mission and vision. This group represents department leaders from HR, Finance, Operations, Medical Education, and Strategic Partnerships & Innovations.
Board of Directors
IFM’s Governing Board of Directors (BOD) brings stewardship, insight, expertise, and resources to advance IFM’s mission. The BOD provides guidance to IFM’s executive leadership and supports the strategic direction of the organization and field of functional medicine to ensure advancement of health and well-being for all.
Ex officio, non-voting member, IFM Board of Directors
Since its founding in 1991, The Institute for Functional Medicine has served as the leading voice for functional medicine. We have trained clinicians to translate the latest scientific advances in biomedicine, genetics and nutrition into solutions for notoriously challenging clinical problems.
IFM is the only functional medicine organization accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). We have been continuously accredited since 2001, having received the coveted status of accreditation with commendation three times. Read more about our accreditation with commendation here.