Information for Patients
From the practitioner: About My Practice
Root Functional Medicine is Grand Rapids first MD functional medicine speciality practice. We offer comprehensive functional medicine evaluations from an MD with nutrition and health coaching support from a functional dietitian. See us virtually for an extended visit to hear your story, advanced testing with functional medicine labs including genomics, Microbiome, gut health and nutrition assessment, and a personalized wellness plan.
My special interests are digestive disorders (IBS, IBD, Dysbiosis), autoimmune disease & optimizing nutrition for athletes.
Visit our website to learn more, read our blog & book a visit with us. Follow us @rootfunctionalmedicine (Facebook and Instagram) & @drmarzenaslater (Instagram)
From the practitioner: What Patients Can Expect
Functional Medicine is what we do. At Root, this is our focus and our practice is dedicated entirely to providing true functional medicine grounded in science, partnership, nutrition, and support. We will spend adequate time to get to the root of any problems, interpret functional medicine labs, and continue a 1:1 personal relationship as patients heal from the inside out.
We partner with our patients to choose the most beneficial laboratory testing fundamental to functional medicine - to see how the body is functioning and find root causes. We're an intentionally small, personalized practice and work with clients who are motivated to take charge of their health.
- Family Medicine
- Functional Medicine
- Autoimmune Disease
- Chronic Disease
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Digestive disorders
- Female Disorders
- Gluten Sensitivity
- Insomnia and Sleep Disorders
- Metabolic Syndrome (pre-diabetes, insulin resistance)
- Migraines and Headaches
- Skin Disorders
- Stress-related Conditions
- Thyroid, adrenal and other hormonal disorders
- Weight or Metabolism concerns
Graduate School Education
MD- Wayne State University School of Medicine
Board Certified by American Board of Family Medicine, Member of American Academy of Family Physicians, Member of Institute for Functional Medicine
- Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice
- Bioenergetics (formerly Energy) Advanced Practice Module
- Cardiometabolic Advanced Practice Module
- Environmental Health (formerly Detox) Advanced Practice Module
- GI Advanced Practice Module
- Hormone Advanced Practice Module
- Immune Advanced Practice Module