- Affirm Financing
- Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice
- Applying to IFM’s Certification Program
- Case Report and Written Examination
- Find a Practitioner
- General IFM Certification Inquires
- IFM Certification
- IFM Facebook Group
- In Person
- My Account
- Online Learning
- Taking IFM Courses Towards Certification
My condition isn’t listed in the Advanced Search. What should I do?
Try to identify the larger category your condition may belong to. For example, rheumatoid arthritis may be categorized under Autoimmune Diseases. Searching within the larger category will give you a more comprehensive list of practitioners to choose from.
What if there are no practitioners in my area?
You can expand your search to include nearby cities or other locations you travel to on a frequent basis. You can also search for practitioners who offer online or phone consultations using the Advanced Search.
Can you recommend a practitioner for me?
Because everyone’s situation and health needs are unique, we can’t recommend specific practitioners. We encourage you to use the Advanced Search to identify the qualities you’re looking for in a practitioner. In addition, you’ll notice that IFM Certified Practitioners receive a special designation in the search results. IFM Certified Practitioners have completed the highest level of training we offer and have passed a rigorous written examination.
I’m willing to travel to see a Functional Medicine practitioner. Can you tell me where I am most likely to find one?
Practitioners from around the globe are listed in our practitioner search. Major metropolitan areas in the United States are most likely to have the highest concentration of practitioners.
Are practitioners available for phone or online consultation?
Some practitioners are available for phone or online consultation. Choose “Advanced Search” and select phone or online consultation to refine your search results.
Do Functional Medicine practitioners accept my insurance?
Functional Medicine practitioners operate many different practice types. When you go to the Find A Practitioner search, choose “Advanced Search” and select the payment option you prefer to limit your search results to practitioners who meet your criteria. In some cases, you may need to call the practitioner’s office to find out if they accept your specific insurance plan.
How do I choose the right Functional Medicine practitioner?
Here are some questions that may help you decide which practitioner in your Find A Practitioner search results may be right for you.
What can I expect when I visit a Functional Medicine practitioner?
Read our introduction to Working with a Functional Medicine Practitioner here. More patient resources may be found in our Patient Resource Center.
How many patients search Find A Practitioner?
The Find A Practitioner search has more than 125,000 searches each month.
Why doesn’t my profile show up when I search for my location?
Go to the My Profile area of your online account to update your listing. Enter the address of your clinic and select “View in Google Maps” to ensure the system has identified the correct address.
How do I update my Find A Practitioner listing?
If you’re a practitioner and you’ve already attended our foundational course, Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice, and are enrolled in our Membership Program, you can update your Find A Practitioner listing by following these instructions:
- Log in to the IFM website using your email address and password.
- Click on “My Practitioner Profile” in the left hand menu of the account page.
- Update your information as you would like it to appear on your listing.
- At the bottom of the page change your visibility preferences to “Show my profile in Find A Practitioner results.” (Leave the other option un-checked if you would like to keep your profile private).
- Click the “Save Profile” button at the bottom of the page to save your information.
A few tips:
- Enter the address of your clinic and select “View in Google Maps” to ensure the correct address is identified. Most patients search for a practitioner by location, so this step can make your profile visible to more patients.
- Select the specialties and conditions that apply to your clinical practice.
- Specify the billing model you use in your practice so that patients know what to expect when they come in for their first office visit.
- Take advantage of the text fields to provide more information about your training, your practice, or your staff.
- Try searching for your profile on the Find A Practitioner page using various search terms and adjust the information in your profile as needed.
How can I get listed on Find A Practitioner?
In order to have your profile listed on Find A Practitioner, you must attend our foundational course, Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice (AFMCP), and also be enrolled in our Membership Program. Practitioners who complete the full IFM Certification Program receive a special designation in the search, so patients know they have completed the highest level of Functional Medicine training available.